Following the Prime Minister’s announcement regarding the coronavirus outbreak on 23/03/20, food banks are faced with a difficult decision of whether they are able to stay open. The latest government advice explains that food banks can legally continue operating as long as we follow the social distancing rules because our work qualifies us as key workers ” caring for the vulnerable”.
However, our food supplies are running low because people are panic buying and supermarkets have no surplus food to give to us. For the same reason, donations are also down. In addition to that, we cannot guarantee that we can maintain the social distancing rules and so we are having concerns over the risk of infections.
We have therefore decided to temporarily change the way we provide the service with effect from 25/03/20 until further notice. Social distancing may lead to a greater risk of social exclusion, so our support in that aspect is also going to be diminished and for many of our service users that was just as important as the food, if not more important.
Closure is the last thing we want to do but if by opening the food bank we put the people using it at risk of getting coronavirus, then we must do it. This decision has been difficult, we understand that we provide a service to vulnerable people who may need us now more than ever before, but still feel this is the best way to keep our volunteers and service users safe and minimise the risk of infection.
We will monitor the situation closely as it unfolds and post updates here. We will re-open as soon as we feel it is safe to do so. In the meantime, stay safe and look after yourselves.
- Keep your faith in God and do not panic.
- Join us on our online public services which are being broadcast online via Facebook live stream.
- On your computer, tablet or phone, visit https://www.reallifechurch.org.uk/m/live-webcast
- If you require personal ministry during our service times, please contact us on 079 6088 9372. You can ring, text or Whatsapp.
- We encourage you to continue to adhere to the government advice on personal hygiene, handwashing and social distancing. Information about this is available at the following link: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
- God’s Word tells us that “The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.” (James 5: 16). Your unceasing prayers will make a huge difference in overcoming the challenge.